Certificate IV in Building and ConstructionProvided by Open Colleges
Simply fill in the details and you'll receive a PDF Info Sheet that outlines pay-rates, employment rates and more. Good Luck!
Delivered online, this Certificate IV in Building and Construction course will give you the skills to work as a Builder, Construction Manager or Foreman.
This course covers the following:
- Prepare building sketches and drawings
- Read and interpret plans and specifications
- Apply building codes and standards to construction projects
- Produce building and construction cost estimates
- Create and prepare construction contracts
- Produce labour and material schedules for ordering, and apply site surveys and set out procedures.
- Manage site WHS, apply legal requirements to projects and manage small business finance.
This course is run in partnership with North Coast TAFE, and as such is a nationally recognised qualification that you can use all across Australia.
Course Quick Look
- Awarded By:
- Open Colleges
- Certificate lV
- Study Mode:
- Maximum 18 months
- Nationally Recognised:
Open Colleges may make changes to the course from time to time to reflect changes introduced to the relevant Training Package or other regulatory requirements. Please download the course guide for current information about the course and its status.
Note: Courses offered by Open Colleges on behalf of North Coast TAFE may include Units of Competency that are graded by TAFE NSW. Students studying through Open Colleges are not subject to TAFE NSW grading criteria, receiving an ungraded outcome for Units of Competency and Qualifications successfully completed.
Prepare simple building sketches and drawings
- Prepare to make sketches and drawings.
- Create simple sketches and drawings.
- Notate and process drawings.
Read and interpret plans and specifications
- Identify types of drawings and their purposes.
- Apply commonly used symbols and abbreviations.
- Locate and identify key features on a site plan.
- Identify and locate key features on drawings.
- Correctly read and interpret specifications.
- Identify non-structural aspects to the specification.
Apply building codes and standards to the construction process for low rise building projects
- Access and interpret relevant code and standard requirements.
- Classify buildings.
- Analyse and apply a range of solutions to a construction problem for compliance with the BCA.
- Apply fire protection requirements.
Apply structural principles to residential low rise constructions
- Apply structural principles when planning the erection or demolition
- Analyse and plan for the structural integrity of Class1 and Class 10
- Plan, coordinate and manage the laying of footings.
- Plan, coordinate and manage the laying of floor system.
- Plan, coordinate and manage the building of structural and non-struc
- Plan, coordinate and manage the building of roof system.
- Plan, coordinate and manage the external wall cladding of structure.
Apply structural principles to commercial low rise construction
- Apply structural principles to the planning of the erection or demolition of a structure.
- Analyse and plan for the structural integrity of Class 2 to 9 buildings.
- Plan, coordinate and manage laying of footing systems.
- Plan, coordinate and manage laying of floor system.
- Plan, coordinate and manage the building of structural wall systems and wall cladding systems.
- Plan, coordinate and manage the building of structural roof systems and roof cladding systems.
Identify and produce estimated costs for building and construction projects
- Read and interpret plans and specifications.
- Identify and calculate labour costs.
- Identify and establish physical resource requirements.
- Develop estimated project costs.
Select and prepare a construction contract
- Identify and analyse the essential elements, sections and clauses of a business contract.
- Select an appropriate contract for the works to be undertaken.
- Prepare the contract.
Plan building or construction work
- Appraise contract documentation to identify operational requirements.
- Implement strategies for construction operations.
- Prepare project schedule.
- Determine required resources.
- Prepare and submit condition reports.
Produce labour and material schedules for ordering
- Identify and apply all contract conditions to the schedules.
- Produce material and labour schedules, overlays and orders.
- Prepare site files.
- Monitor and report on project costs.
- Maintain data files of standard costs.
Select, procure and store construction materials for low rise projects
- Identify and evaluate the properties of building materials.
- Ensure suitable building materials are selected for application.
- Supervise the acceptance, safe handling and storage of materials on site.
Apply site surveys and setout procedures to building and construction projects
- Perform setting out, measuring techniques and associated calculations
- Set up and use levelling devices
- Mark out and determine levels on a grid for contouring and volume calculations
- Construct longitudinal sections and determine associated grades and levels in typical drainage and pipeline situations
Manage occupational health and safety in the building and construction workplace
- Determine areas of potential risk in the building and construction workplace.
- Inspect and report on areas of specific risk.
- Advise on implementation of control measures at the building and construction workplace.
- Establish and review communications and educational programs.
Conduct on-site supervision of building and construction projects
- Supervise the administration of claims and payment processes.
- Supervise and maintain on-site communications.
- Ensure management of and compliance with quality control procedures.
- Complete project administration processes.
Apply legal requirements to building and construction projects
- Apply the laws relating to builder licensing or registration.
- Apply OHS legislation and provisions on site.
- Apply the codes, Acts, regulations and standards relevant to construction.
- Comply with insurance and regulatory requirements for housing construction.
- Apply legislation to financial transactions.
- Meet building contract obligations.
- Apply industrial relations policies and obligations relevant to housing construction.
- Apply dispute resolution processes.
Resolve business disputes
- Develop and implement dispute resolution procedures.
- Conduct an initial investigation into business disputes and possible resolution strategies.
- Identify opportunities for dispute resolution.
Manage small business finances
- Implement financial plan
- Monitor financial performance